Chofa, Thai Wat temple finial ornament
- Depending on the interpretation, this temple finial is called “Garuda” (Sanskrit: Eagle), the mount of the god Vishnu, or “Hong/Hamsa” (Thai: Hong /Sanskrit: Hamsa), representing the mythical bird or swan/goose, the animal vehicle (vâhana) of the god Brahma. Beautiful original patina, combining gilding and red bowl, (Colors of Brahma).
- Thailand, 19th century.
- Supplied with white or black steel base, adjustable chofa inclination.
- Provenance: Estate of collector and art dealer Claude de Marteau.
- Sold with certificate of origin.
- An overview of this talented collector’s incredible career can be found here: https://www.thecdmcollection.be/
- H MAX 188 CM (H Chofa alone 162 CM) X P 26 CM X W 19 CM.